Online Lottery Games in Colorado
The first lottery draw took place in Colorado back in 1983. Since then the lottery has expanded. These days you will find in-state draws alongside the huge multi-state games like Powerball, Mega Millions and Lucky for Life. There are also instant games including scratch cards and keno type games.
While you can’t buy lottery tickets online, there is a detailed website and apps available for players. Bonus draw games are available for scratch cards (even if you lost the original game). You can enter a unique 22-digit number to see if you win a prize.
There is a lot more online than just the results. The Colorado lottery website tracks the luckiest stores and luckiest numbers. You can also find out about the winners and which good causes the lottery revenues support.
MyLottery is an optional account, which gives you access to a dashboard showing all your bonus draws and results. This is available via the apps or through the main website.
Funding Your Online Gambling Account
You’ll need to make a deposit to enjoy the many online gambling options in Colorado. This is safe, as long as you stick to the legitimate sites and avoid offshore / grey-market operators.
The exact mix of payment options on offer vary across the different gambling verticals. DFS sites and social casinos / poker rooms have a limited number of options compared to the new regulated sportsbooks. Credit and debit cards are welcomed at all types of gambling site operating in Colorado.
Here are the main gambling site deposit options, along with an explanation for each one:
- Bank Cards: Both debit and credit cards can be used. Visa and MasterCard are welcomed by almost all gambling sites. Amex and Discover branded cards are less frequently allowed. Making a payment with your card follows the same process as making an online purchase.
- Branded Debit Cards: FanDuel and other gambling sites have introduced their own branded debit cards in other states – and are expected to do the same in Colorado. These are perfect for bettors that want the ease of use of a card, though prefer not to use their own cards for gambling.
- PayPal: This well-known electronic wallet is used by DFS sites as well as the sportsbooks. You can use it for both deposits and withdrawals. The advantage is security, with the separate account effectively keeping your bank and the gambling sites separated. Other brands which are similar include Neteller and Skrill.
- eChecks: You can transfer directly from your bank account to a gambling site in several ways. The easiest and (once verified) the fastest is called eChecks or ACH transfers. This can be used for withdrawals too.
- Bill Pay: Paying into a sportsbook the same way you might pay a utility bill will online work at the biggest banks.
- Bank Wires / Money Orders: These traditional banking methods are slower, though can be used for funding your gambling accounts.
- Cash at Cage: For online sportsbooks, each mobile book will have a license holding brick and mortar casino. You can take cash to the cage, funding your account in person.
- Cash at 7-Eleven: If you are not close to Cripple Creek, Central City or Black Hawk, then taking cash to your local convenience store could be faster. Note than fees will be charged.
When you withdraw from any gambling site the default payment option will be to return the funds the same way you deposited them. When this is not possible, an alternative can be used. Many gambling sites can send paper checks to you.
Boosting Your Online Gambling Account
You can get your bankroll off to the best possible start with welcome bonuses that almost all the gambling sites offer. These will vary depending on whether you choose sports, casino or horse racing bets. Here are the main types of bonus on offer to Colorado residents:
- Colorado Sportsbooks: High competition between the betting brands gives you a lot of bonuses to choose from. Look out for no-deposit free bets. These allow you to check out the different sports betting apps with zero risk. Matched welcome bonuses (usually at 100% of your deposit amount) and no-lose first bets are common incentives.
- DFS Sites: There is little competition with Daily Fantasy Sports – as the market is dominated by FanDuel and DraftKings. You’ll need to deposit to take advantage of their welcome offers, which are $5 / $25 in free bets. You can also take advantage of entry into the easy ‘beginner’ games.
- Horse Racing Sites: Matched bonuses and no-lose wagers also feature at the online pari-mutuel gambling sites. Your deposit will be matched at 100%, with the bonus coming in the form of free bets.
- Social Casinos: Bonuses are smaller at social casinos. You’ll get double the amount of sweeps coins to normal the first time you deposit.
Ongoing Rewards at Colorado Gambling Sites
Welcome bonuses will be gone very fast – many of them only apply to your first bets or have other short-lived incentives.
Savvy gamblers in Colorado understand that it is the ongoing rewards that make the biggest difference to your bankroll over the long run.
Things to look out for include loyalty programs, odds boosts, free to enter contests (slot tournaments, DFS games), freeroll tournaments (poker) and insurance against losing parlays by a single leg.
It can be worth checking the details of the loyalty schemes on offer. Some are flat rate. These reward you with a fixed amount based on the amount you bet. Others are tiered. These schemed increase rewards based on your betting over time. You can unlock extra bonuses and rewards. Some betting sites also link their online loyalty rewards to the casino partner’s comp schemes.
For those that are high rollers, it can also be worth comparing the different gambling sites for VIP rewards.
Are Colorado Online Gambling Sites Safe?
Regulated, licensed gambling sites have a huge advantage in any state – safety. When you play at a licensed site in Colorado, you will know that they met the requirements of the Limited Gaming Control Commission. Those requirements cover the separate handling of player funds, tools for players that might develop gambling problems and fair rules for bonuses and promotions.
Payments will use SSL – making them completely safe. You can even choose a 3rd party payment system like PayPal or pre-funded debit cards, this will keep your own bank account separate from the gambling sites.
The biggest difference in terms of safety comes from having a governing / licensing body to complain to if you feel you have been mistreated. Offshore sportsbooks, which are supposedly ‘licensed’ on Caribbean islands, have no governing body overseeing them that is capable (or willing) to listen to player complaints.
You can bet, enjoy casino and poker games or enter DFS contests legally and safely from Colorado these days – there is simply no need to take the risk of using offshore online gambling sites.