New York Sports Betting
How to Legally Bet on Pro and College Sports in New York State
Legal sports betting in New York has arrived. You can now bet legally in commercial and tribal casinos across the state. Expansion of sports betting to cover desktops and mobile devices is expected this year. Major brands are already lining up partners in order to launch quickly online. Additional retail books at the OTB offices and racetracks are also part of the new legislation.
This page covers both the retail sportsbooks and online betting in New York.
You’ll see an overview of the current legislation – along with the NY gambling laws. After that is an overview of each of the retail sportsbooks – along with the betting sites/brands they have partnered with.
New York sports betting: Is betting legal?
Has federal laws allowed it, sports betting in New York state would have been legal back in 2013. In that year, the ‘New York Gaming Economic Development Act’ was passed, and a referendum held. This passed, allowing sports betting at the commercial and tribal casinos around the state. This bill also expanded the number of commercial casinos in upstate NY.
Unfortunately, a federal law known as ‘PASPA’ prevented sports betting nationwide. It was not until 2018 that this was overturned by the Supreme Court. This allowed states to decide their own gambling polices. A clause in the 2013 act was triggered, and the New York Gaming Commission set about creating licensing rules.
The first retail sportsbooks went live in NY casinos in August and September of 2019 – just in time for the start of the NFL season.
Legislative efforts to add online sports betting fell short in 2019. Bill S 17 was involved in controversy. A 2% levy for an ‘Integrity Fee’ for the pro teams was considered too big a burden for the sportsbooks. This has since been reduced to 0.25% in newer legislation.
Efforts are now underway to expand sports betting in 2020. This will include online gambling as well as additional sportsbooks in the OTB offices and racetracks.
A new version of S 17 has been added this year. While many other previous attempts, including bill SB 6700, have failed to complete the legislative process there is optimism that 2020 could see mobile sportsbooks legalized.
To bet on sports in New York, you need to be 21 and over.
Separately, New York legalized and regulated DFS contests in 2016. Bill S8153 ended a volatile period in the important NY market for industry giants DraftKings and FanDuel. You can also legally bet on horse races online – via sites linked to the pari-mutuel betting pools.
Retail sportsbook locations in New York State
You can place bets at several casinos already. These resorts have state of the art sportsbooks, featuring a mix of self-service terminals and counters with cashiers. You can expect the best of the dining and entertainment facilities while you bet.
As you’ll see from the list below, most NY sportsbooks are already branded by the biggest online sportsbook operators. These partnerships are ready to launch mobile betting apps and desktop sportsbooks when these are made legal.
Here is the list of sportsbooks which are currently open at commercial casinos in NY state:
#1 Resorts World Catskills
Sportsbook 360 lives up to its name by featuring a 360-degree arc of flat screen TVs. These will display the action, odds and sports news. You can place bets at 14 kiosks or at the betting counter. The kiosks are available 24/7. The cashiers are on duty from 5:30pm Monday and Tuesday, and 10am the rest of the week – each day having a 1:30am close. While no specific partnership has been announced, the owners of this casino (Empire Group) have previously partnered with Bet365.
Resorts World Catskills can be found at: 888 Resorts World Drive, Monticello, NY 12701. Telephone +1 833-586-9358
#2 Del Lago Casino, Tyne
Del Lago have partnered with DraftKings to open their 6000 square foot state of the art sportsbook. This was the 3rd location for DraftKings, which has branded retail sportsbooks in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. You’ll find more than 1000 square feet of TV’s showing the day’s action. There are 5 ticket windows with cashier staff at this site – along with 23 kiosks allowing self-service betting. There is also a full-service bar and restaurant.
Del Lago Casino sportsbook can be found at: 1133 NY-414, Waterloo, NY 13165. Telephone +1 315-946-1777
#3 Rivers Casino
Rivers casino have created an impressive sportsbook in their Schenectady resort. This book took the accolade of receiving the first legal bet in NY state in July of 2019. They have a mobile bet slip builder, which allows you to format bets away from the book (you’ll need to be present to place bets). This book features a 9 feet high LED video wall, and also has private booths for groups. Self-service kiosks are available 24/7, with 9 or 10am starts and 12pm/1am finishes for the cashier staff through the week. Rivers Casino have their own interactive brand in other states under the name BetRivers.
You can find the Rivers Casino sportsbooks at: 1 Rush Street, Schenectady, NY 12305. Telephone +1 518-579-8800
#4 Tioga Downs Casino
Tioga Downs have partnered with betting and DFS giant FanDuel to open their retail sportsbook. This 2600 square foot venue has 8 betting windows, a huge video wall featuring 27 screens and three sports tickers. You’ll be able to bet Monday to Thursday 11am to 11pm, with extended hours from Friday through to Sunday. You’ll find the new sportsbook right at the entrance to the casino.
You can find the Tioga Downs sportsbook at: 2384 W River Rd, Nickols, NY 13812. Telephone +1 888-946-8464
Sportsbooks in tribal casinos in NY State
Gambling giant Caesars have partnered with 3 tribal casinos to open retail sportsbooks, they are:
- Turning Stone
- Point Palace
- Yellow Brick Road Casino
The Akwesasne Mohawk casino have partnered with Stars Group for their retail casino sportsbook. This is branded as the ‘Sticks Sportsbook and Grill’. Elsewhere, Stars Group have used their ‘FOX Bet’ joint venture for retail sportsbook branding.
Online sportsbook brands in New York
With the partnerships announced so far, some of the biggest names in US sports betting are already entering NY. These include BetMGM, FanDuel, Stars Group, Bet365, DraftKings and BetRivers. Along with these, there are many other brands that are expanding into other states as they regulate sports betting online.
When mobile betting becomes legal, the following brands are strong contenders to enter NY along with those that already have casino partnership deals.
Please note – while you mobile sportsbooks have yet to surface in NY, you can download anyone of these apps, create your account and travel to NJ to place your bets.
- FanDuel: This huge daily fantasy sports brand runs both retail and online sportsbooks in other states. They are a strong contender to enter online betting in NY.
- William Hill: This company has experience running retail sportsbooks in Nevada, as well as online betting globally. They have already entered multiple regulated states.
- Bet365: A global betting brand with a huge coverage of international sports. Bet365 have made their ambitions to compete in the US clear.
- DraftKings: This brand already run DFS contests in New York – and have a full sportsbook in states where this is already legal. They also co-brand retail sportsbooks.
- FOX Bet: The Stars Group, the company behind PokerStars, has partnered with FOX Sports to offer online sports betting in several states. Promotions are based on the picks of the hosts of big TV shows.
- BetRivers: Rush Street Interactive power the sportsbook for BetRivers. This combines a full sportsbook with social elements including a winners feed and bonus meters.
- Bet America: This site already welcomes horse racing bets (pari-mutuel) from NY. They have expanded into full sports betting elsewhere already.
- Pointsbet: This brand has a unique way of betting, in addition to the usual single match and multiple match wagers you can bet ‘spreads’ so you win more if the scores go further in your chosen direction.
- 888 Sport: This brand has integrated casino, poker and sports betting via Android and iPhone apps. They would be an ideal fit if casino and poker games are also made available online in New York.
- BetMGM: This casino giant operates retail sportsbooks. They have partnered with gambling giant GVC (who run the party and Bwin brands) in other states.
- Unibet: A huge integrated gambling brand from Europe. Unibet offer a wide list of sporting events from around the world to bet on – including soccer coverage which spans leagues and cup competitions globally.
- theScore: This is a media company based in Canada which have apps and websites popular among sports fans. They have expanded into sports betting in other state, leveraging their media presence.
Betting on New York sports teams
New York has a long history of sporting success. The DFS sites cited the passion of fans and number of pro teams as the reason for considering NY an important market. If you include teams which represent the NY metropolitan area and are now located in New Jersey, the list becomes even more impressive.
You’ll be able to bet on any team you choose at New York sportsbooks. Local teams including those listed below make a great starting point:
- MLB: New York Yankees: This Bronx-based baseball team are considered the best in history, with no less than 27 World Series titles. They play in the American League Eastern Division of the MLB.
- MLB: New York Mets: The Mets are based in Queens. They joined MLB as the first expansion team in 1962. They Mets have 2 World Series titles, plus multiple Pennants and Divisional titles.
- NFL: Buffalo Bills: Other NFL teams represent New York, though the Buffalo Bills are the only team that play home games inside state lines. They play in the AFC East Division of the NFL.
- NFL: New York Giants: The Giants now play at the MetLife Stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey. They are hugely popular throughout the NY metropolitan area. The Giants have 4 Super Bowls and multiple conference and divisional championship wins.
- NFL: New York Jets: Another team representing the NY metro area that play in New Jersey. The Jets share the MetLife Stadium with the Giants. This team has yet to win a Super Bowl, though have multiple playoff appearances on the books.
- NHL: New York Rangers: Home games for this Eastern Division NHL team take place in Manhattan in Madison Square Gardens. The Rangers were one of the original 6 NHL teams. They have won the Stanley Cup four times.
- NHL: New York Islanders: This Eastern Division NHL team have a big Long Island fan base. They were founded in 1972. The Islanders won 4 consecutive Stanley Cups between 1980 and 1983.
- NHL: Buffalo Sabres: This team plays in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference and play at the KeyBank Center in downtown Buffalo. While they are yet to win a Stanley Cup, the Sabres have 3 conference championship wins and 6 divisional titles.
- NBA: New York Knicks: This Manhattan based team play in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference of the NBA. They share a home stadium with the Rangers at Maddison Square Gardens. The Knicks have 2 Championship titles and several conference/divisional titles.
- NBA: Brooklyn Nets: This basketball team play home games at the Barclays Center, Brooklyn. They play in the Atlantic Division of NBA’s Eastern Conference. The Nets have 2 championship titles, in 1974 and 1976.
- MLS: New York City FC: This new soccer team joined the Eastern Conference of MLS in 2015. They play at the Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. They were 1st in the Eastern Conference in 2019.
The list of teams gets even longer if you add minor leagues and other sports. Upstate NY is well represented by the American Hockey League and minor league baseball is prolific throughout the region.
Betting at New York sportsbooks: Huge choice of betting markets
You can bet on teams from anywhere in the country at NY sportsbooks. College action, single player sports and international fixtures can all be bet on.
The biggest betting market is the NFL. You can bet season-long, on individual games or on multiple matches over a weekend as a parlay. This is closely followed by the other major leagues. Action is focused on whichever leagues are in season.
Soccer has a big following at sportsbooks throughout the county. This involves a combination of MLB games and international matches including the EPL, European leagues and competitions like the World Cup.
Other popular betting markets you’ll find at NY sportsbooks include golf, tennis, boxing, MMA and auto-sports (F1 and NASCAR). You’ll find plenty more betting markets. The depth of the international sports betting markets will depend on the individual sportsbooks.
Understanding the odds at sportsbooks in New York
Until the first New York sportsbooks opened in 2019, only DFS games and pari-mutuel betting was available. With full sports betting now in full swing, a number of betting options that are not yet familiar to many people are available.
The first step to placing a bet is to understand what the odds mean. You’ll find betting lines have numbers like -110 or +200 next to them.
Betting odds are expressed in relation to a wager of $100. You can bet any amount you like (subject to sportsbook minimums). Having the odds expressed in bigger round numbers makes them easy to understand.
If you see a minus sign next to the odds, this means you have to bet that amount to win $100. With -110 (a common sight for totals and spreads lines), you’ll get $100 back for every $110 you wager. You will also get your stake back.
Positive odds usually reflect the underdog. Here you see the amount you win for every $100 bet. In the example above of +200, you’d get $200 + your $100 stake back if your selection was successful.
Types of bet you can place at NY Sportsbooks
You can bet on single matches, multiple matches on the same slip – or on non-match outcomes (proposition bets) at NY sportsbooks. This list covers the most popular forms of bet, which are available at all retail sportsbook outlets.
- Moneyline: A simple win bet, you pick the team to win at odds offered by the sportsbook
- Spreads: Here the books add some points to the underdog, equal odds are offered on each team. The favorite needs to win by more than the spread for your bet to pay.
- Totals: Combined points/goals for both teams are predicted. You can choose the ‘under’ or the ‘over’.
- Parlays: This popular form of multi-match betting involves adding 2 or more teams to the same betting slip. All teams need to win for this wager to pay out.
- Teasers: These bets give you wider spreads for your multi-team bet. Your bigger chances of winning are balanced by the lower payout compared to regular parlays.
- Round Robins: Here you are boxing bets into several multi-team wagers. This means you can get paid even if one selection loses.
- Prop Bets: Bets on the highest scoring player, first player to score or even the season long player of the year are all proposition bets. These involve any bet which is not on the outcome of the match.
Futures bets can involve any of the formats covered above. The difference is that they are season long. You can bet on the winner of the Super Bowl before the season begins – or bet on your team in many sports to reach the play offs.
Online betting in New York: Additional bet types to expect
When online (mobile) sports betting comes to New York it will enable additional types of betting. Some of these have proven to be very popular in other states.
- Live/In-Play Betting: If you have a mobile app, you can bet on matches which are already underway while watching the game at the stadium (or maybe a bar). This is hugely popular where mobile betting is already allowed. Bets include the moneyline, totals and spreads.
- Period Betting: Instead of betting on the outcome of the entire match before it happens, you’ll be able to bet on the individual periods.
- Cash Out Betting: This is also known as ‘early redemption’ betting. You can cash out a bet at any time. The books will give you a price, and you choose whether to accept this or not.
- Pointsbetting: This format is unique to the Pointsbet brand. If they come to NY, you’ll be able to win units of your bet for every point or goal over (or under) the spread. This is a risky bet, although it gives you a shot at winning multiple times your stake if the odds go in your favor.
Online sportsbooks will also give you the opportunity to enter leaderboard contests – and to pick up risk free bets or enhanced odds promotions while on the move. You’ll also be able to shop around for matched bets.
Other states where sports betting is legal
What to expect when mobile betting hits New York State
After making retail sports betting legal in 2013, it was a long wait for the PASPA act to be overturned before the first bets in NY state could be placed. This happened in 2019, with sports betting now available at both commercial and tribal casinos.
Efforts continue to add mobile sports betting. Bill S17 failed in 2019. It has returned for 2020, with some optimism that it will pass now the controversy over the integrity fees has been resolved. With legal online sports betting in neighboring states, the opportunity for increased tax revenues will be clear to the politicians this time.
New York has a rich sporting heritage. Pro teams represent NY in all the main sports, many of them winning their respective championships multiple times. You won’t be restricted to betting on these teams – with sports and leagues from around the country (and world) covered by the sports betting brands.