New Jersey Sports Betting Sites
Of the three main gambling verticals, sports betting took longest to get approved in New Jersey. The reason was opposition from the pro sports lobby. They cited the PASPA legislation, which barred legal sports betting (both online and B&M) and took their fight all the way to the Supreme Court.
It took until 2018 for online sports books to appear. The major sites have been quick to get established after this breakthrough – with a lot of competition appearing fast. Some of these NJ online betting sites are part of larger casino / poker brands, while others are stand-alone.
Click here to read our full guide to NJ online sports betting.
New Jersey Poker Sites
There was a lot of interest in how popular online poker rooms in New Jersey would become. While other states (Delaware and Nevada) have poker rooms online, the bigger population of NJ meant the player pool could support big guaranteed tournaments and higher stakes cash games.
This was also the first time that big poker brands which left the US after the 2006 UIGEA would return. PokerStars, 888 Poker and Party Poker all run sites in NJ. In 2018, player pools were shared with DE and NV. While poker traffic has been steady (compared with the popularity of the casinos), these sites have shown some promise. With new states legislating (and potentially joining the player pools), regulated poker sites have the potential to boom.
Below is information on the biggest and best of the New Jersey poker sites – along with bonus information and ownership.
#1 – PokerStars NJ
- Partner: Resorts Atlantic City
- Established: 2016
#2 – WSOP.com Poker
- Partner: Caesars
- Established: 2013
#3 – 888 Poker NJ
- Partner: Caesars
- Established: 2013
#4 – Party Poker NJ
- Partner: Borgata
- Established: 2013
What to Look for in NJ Online Gambling Sites?
You’ll have a lot of choice when it comes to online gambling sites. This section covers the key criteria which can be used to narrow your search. Factors include software, game selection, bonuses and payment methods. Many casinos and poker rooms offer free-to-play games. This gives you the opportunity to try out the sites with no risk (and even enjoy a no-deposit bonus).
Here are the criteria I use when choosing an online gambling site:
- Software / Device Compatibility: All casinos will work in the browser of your desktop or laptop these days. Where there are bigger differences is in mobile device compatibility. Some casinos offer apps, while others use responsive browser games for smartphone play.
- Casino Game Selection: As you become familiar with the casino software makers, you’ll be able to spot your favorites. If you are new, look for a casino offering 100’s of games and slots from different software houses.
- Live Dealer Options: Streamed games with real croupiers are hugely popular. These games are social and recreate that live casino feeling. Not all casinos have live dealer options.
- Bonuses and Promotions: You should look beyond the headline welcome offer when comparing bonuses. Free-play, wagering requirements and extras like reloads and comp schemes can be quickly compared.
- Security and Game Fairness: A big plus of NJ gambling sites is that the deal will be certified as fair. Make sure your casino displays information certifying testing of their ‘Random Number Generator’ software before you play.
- Deposit and Withdrawal Options: Getting your money in easily and profits back out are primary concerns for gamblers everywhere. NJ gambling sites have a lot of options, though they vary between casinos. I recommend looking at the banking information pages before you sign up.
What Online Casino Games are Available in New Jersey?
With the biggest casino software houses all available to NJ players – the choice of games is huge. Options include slots, table games, live dealer casinos, video poker, keno and novelty games. Within each of these categories, you’ll find multiple options.
Here is a quick breakdown to help you find the right games for you:
Slots: In the past it was possible to make a simple distinction between 3-reel (traditional) slots and 5-reel video slots. That distinction really only scratches the surface these days. With better technology, slots have transformed in multiple ways. You get live slots that can be enjoyed online, 3D slots with complex bonus features, slots with life-changing progressive jackpots and an endless number of themes and creative ideas at online casinos.
Table Games: You will find many more table games at NJ online casinos than you will find in Atlantic City. The favorites like blackjack, roulette and baccarat are all there. What you’ll find is multiple variations of each game and many different side-bets. Add to this casino poker games, dice games and brand-new variations created especially for online casinos, and you’ll see just how big the choices are.
Live Dealer Casinos: Instead of playing table games against the software, many players prefer to bet on real games these days. Live dealer casinos are operated from remote studios. You can interact with the dealers and other players if you wish. Games spread include blackjack, roulette, baccarat, Ultimate Texas Hold’em and Caribbean stud poker.
Other Games: Video poker fans will find plenty of options both traditional titles and novelty games at NJ online casinos. Keno and game-show type novelty games are also spread.
Other states with legal online gambling
With so many casinos and gambling sites licensed in New Jersey, players can take advantage of the fierce competition between them. You’ll be offered bonus deals, including no-deposit, matched (deposit) bonuses and extras.
Some gambling sites use bonus codes and promo codes which you’ll use to claim each offer. Others have standard bonuses which they award to all new players. Remember to look out for ongoing offers and rewards for loyal players too. These are often valuable over the long run – in some cases more valuable than the original welcome deal.
Here are the types of bonus to expect at New Jersey gambling sites:
- No-Deposit Bonuses: These deals are between $10 and $30 in free-play simply for registering. As a rule, the bonus cash itself is not withdrawable. You can cash out money you win (subject to a play-through and often a small deposit).
- Matched Welcome Bonuses: This is the most common bonus format. Offers can be large. For example, the Golden Nugget is offering a 100% match up to $1500 for new players. Make sure you check the play-though / wagering requirement when comparing the bonuses at different casinos. Some sites will have weightings for different games which show that percentage of your stake contributes to bonus clearance.
- Reload Bonuses: Loyal players can enjoy reload bonuses at all NJ real money casinos. These work in a similar way to the matched welcome bonuses. They will often have their own bonus codes.
- Loyalty / Comp Point Schemes: Another way that online casinos reward players is by offering comp points. These are collected based on the value of your play. They can be exchanged for extra bonuses, and sometimes entry into slot tournaments.
- One-Off Promos: Don’t overlook those casinos with regular player promotions. Free spins on new slots or chips for live dealer games are just two examples of what you can find. It is worth comparing the active promotions (and promo codes) at the different casinos before you choose which one to join.
New Jersey Gambling Sites Overview
In total there are 26 online gambling sites in New Jersey. They offer a combination of casino games, online poker and sports betting. Some sites offer more than one type of gambling, while others are specialists.
Under the NJDGE licensing regulations, each online site needs to partner with the holder of a brick and mortar casino license. With only 9 casino groups (including racetracks) being licensed, you might be wondering how 26 (and counting!) legal NJ gambling sites are possible.
The reason is that some casinos have multiple sites. For example, the Golden Nugget NJ casino partners with NXY for their branded NJ casino site – and partners with Betfair NJ and Sugarland NJ for additional online gambling sites.
Anyone that is a resident of New Jersey and over 21 can play at these sites. With plenty of easy payment options, moving money around is simple. You’ll find 100’s of slots, table games, live dealer options and video poker to enjoy – along with poker and legal sports betting sites.