FanDuel and Betfair Offer a Comprehensive NJ Sportsbook
The FanDuel New Jersey sportsbook is the first venture for this brand outside of the Fantasy Sports contests which they are best known for. You’ll be able to bet on the moneyline, spreads and totals – as well as create parlays and player props at FanDuel. With the big international brand Betfair behind the tech, you’ll find betting a smooth and intuitive experience.
This New Jersey sportsbook is a partnership with the Valley Forge Casino. It went live soon after sports betting was legalized in 2019. This detailed review covers everything you need to know to get off to a flying start. Here is how the page is laid out:
- FanDuel Bonuses: How to get $10 free, or a free bet of up to $500. This section also looks at the rewards for regular bettors and the types of promotion on offer.
- Reasons to Choose FanDuel: With so many NJ online sportsbooks to choose from, this section covers the main reasons to choose this one!
- Software and Features: How the platform works and how to navigate to the features you need.
- Apps or Browser: The two main methods of accessing this book compared.
- Sports Betting at FanDuel: What sports are covered – and within each sport what leagues, futures and types of bet are available?
- Live Betting: How to bet on matches which are already underway.
- Types of Bets: From moneyline to teasers, and every bet in between.
- FanDuel Banking: Safely depositing and withdrawing, all the options covered.
FanDuel New Jersey Promo Code: Welcome Bonuses for New Players
If you have ever dreamed of making a big bet without all the risk, then the FanDuel NJ welcome offer could be for you.
You’ll get a rebate (in bonus credits) of your first bet – up to a generous $500.
There is no FanDuel NJ sportsbook promo code needed, all new depositing bettors get the same deal. The minimum to qualify is just $10. Here is how it works:
- Register and make your first deposit.
- Place your first bet of between $10 and $500
- If it wins, congratulations – you are off to a positive start!
- If your bet loses, you’ll be credited with bonus credits matching the amount you bet up to $500 max.
- To move this credit to your regular account, you need to wager the bonus credit + deposit amount once. Bets have to be at odds of -200 or bigger (no huge favorites).
If you make multiple betting selections for your first bet, the first one listed on your bet slip is the one which counts under this offer.
An alternative of $10 free is offered if you sign up for the Fantasy Sports section of this brand. Note that this can’t be used in the regular sportsbook – it is for use in Fantasy Sports contests only.
Promotions at FanDuel New Jersey
Like all online betting sites, the promotions are themed around the sports / major events in season. You’ll find the ‘promotions’ tab second from the left on the main menu of the FanDuel website. I recommend keeping an eye on this page – you’ll find a lot of generous promos running!
Here is an idea of the kind of promotions offered:
- Props Pick’em: This is a picks contest from a range of pro bets. Winners of this contest have a daily shot at a $10k prize pool.
- Close Call Insurance: We have all been left frustrated when a big moneyline bet loses by just a couple of points. This promo, based on NBA action, gives you up to $50 back (in bonus credits) when this happens.
- Overtime Insurance: For Tuesday night hockey action, you can get rebates if your bet loses in overtime.
- Multi-Sport Parlay Insurance: Get up to $25 back on parlays (4+ legs) if just one of your entries fails.
- Daily Odds Boost: Each day a selected event gets boosted odds. If you are betting at multiple sportsbooks, it is worth keeping an eye on this one before you bet.
Reasons to Choose the FanDuel Sportsbook
FanDuel are a young company that pushed an innovative business model with their Daily Fantasy Sports offering. This experience in the market is unique (along with once rival company Draft Kings). With the acquisition from Paddy Power Betfair, a huge international company now backs FanDuel. They will be keen to get a return on their investment, pushing the marketing hard – and giving new players the opportunity to take advantage.
With a smart interface and a depth of betting action on all the major leagues, FanDuel will certainly cover all your betting needs in one place. Look out for those promos too. I like the way that this NJ sportsbook take all the risk away from your first bet!
FanDuel New Jersey: Software and Features
This sportsbook has packed a lot of action into their distinctive blue and light grey design. Across the top of the homepage, you’ll see a rotating carousel of promotions. These include the daily odds boost – plus casino offers.
In the darker blue section, the left side column has the current live games and the in-season domestic sports listed. Under this is an a-z of sports which highlights the huge international reach of the parent company Paddy Power Betfair.
For me the middle section looks crowded, through there are tabs for the different leagues at the top of each page for navigation. Individual matches show ‘spread / money / total’ lines, with ‘more wagers’ underneath bringing up bets which are sport-specific and props. On the right you’ll find your bet slip, which does take up a lot of screen real-estate.
As well as the link at the top of the left side column, live betting gets an entry in the top menu – alongside home, promotions and casino. Fantasy sports can’t be reached from the main sportsbook screen. If you go to the FanDuel homepage, you’ll find this area completely separately via a menu entry there.
The footer of the main page includes useful links to the FAQ, support options, terms and conditions and the all-important responsible gaming policy. There are Facebook and Twitter links on the right-hand side of this footer area.
Apps vs Browser: Accessing FanDuel on Mobile Devices
The website will react to the size of your screen. For example, the left-hand column with the list of sports becomes a row of icons across the top of a smartphone screen. While this works fine for many bettors, there are also apps available for both iPhones (and iPads) and Android devices. With the main graphics already downloaded, you’ll find these generally smoother to use on the smallest screens.
Apple users can find the FanDuel NJ sportsbook app at the App Store. If you are using an Android device, you’ll need to download (and approve an ‘unknown source’) from the FanDuel website.
What Sports are Covered at the FanDuel NJ Online Sportsbook?
While the international reach of parent company Betfair means that the list of sports is huge – the action is naturally focused on domestic leagues.
The major leagues get the TV coverage and spotlight, though these are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to making your bets. Here is a breakdown of the different betting opportunities at the FanDuel New Jersey online sportsbook for the major leagues.
Football: Leagues covered are the NFL, CFL and AAF. You’ll also find comprehensive draft betting, plus a ton of action focused on the Superbowl. Moneyline, spread and totals are available for individual matches. There are also totals for home / away teams and totals / spreads for different periods. Futures betting, for players as well as teams, can also be found.
Basketball: There are separate links in the left-hand side list for pro basketball and college games (which include March Madness). Pro games include the NBA and Euroleague matches. You can bet individual games, futures and player props. In the ‘more wagers’ section, you’ll find a lot of period bets, doubles and home / away team totals.
Hockey: Less leagues than the other majors, though you will find plenty of action from both coasts. The main spread is listed along with the moneyline and totals at the match level. If you click on ‘more wagers’, you’ll find alternate spreads, winning margin bets – and player performance doubles bets.
Baseball: Another area with a lot of different betting options (and live betting in season). You can bet the AL and NL winners in the 3 divisions, as well as World Series futures. As well as the usual moneyline, spread and totals bets, there are run-line / run-totals doubles and player props for individual matches.
International Sports Coverage
Soccer has the most matches worldwide and the coverage at FanDuel NJ is excellent. When you access this section, you’ll see tabs for the major international leagues (including MLS, English Premiership and International fixtures). There is a button on the right which says ‘more’. This brings up a long list of countries. Each country then has their own choice of divisions.
Other popular sports include cricket (international), golf (US tour and majors around the world), motor racing (F1 and NASCAR), Tennis, MMA, Boxing and Rugby.
Live Betting Options at FanDuel New Jersey
I like the way that FanDuel NJ have organized their live betting section. You can find a menu item for this at the top of the homepage. This gives you a new set of tabs. Each one shows a sport – together with an icon. On these icons are red circles, indicating how many matches are current in action.
You’ll see how long the game has been running (by quarter when appropriate) alongside the main bets. The lines change in real time as the action unfolds. For example, if a hockey team scores an early goal, the moneyline for their win will go negative. You can place bets at any time, though you’ll need to be fast – as the action may have changed once again!
Types of Bets You Can Place at FanDuel New Jersey
You will be able to place every bet you can make at a live sportsbook at FanDuel – plus a lot of novel bets and live action betting too.
Here is the base list of bets – excluding specials / sport-specific wagering types.
- Moneyline: The standard singles bet, shown as the return on a $100 wager (when positive) or the amount you’ll need to bet to win $100 (when the line is negative).
- Spreads: The sportsbooks will assign a number of points / goals to the underdog which should balance the result. This is shown as a fraction to avoid draws, it you don’t agree with this assessment, you might have found some betting value.
- Totals: You can bet on the total points / goals in a match, individual team totals and period-by-period totals bets can often be found.
- Player Props: These depend on the sport and involve betting on the performance of individual players.
- Parlays: This refers to making multiple bets on the same betting slip. The winnings from one result are rolled over onto the next.
- Teasers: Parlays involving spreads, which include some flexibility.
- Futures: Season winners in different leagues / divisions, outright winners and player of the year are all examples of season-long futures bets.
- Live Action Betting: You can make any number of bets while matches are running.
- Period Betting: Many sports allow you to place bets on individual periods. This ranges from totals in the first half to first goal-scorer.
The main betting type that you will not find at many other New Jersey sportsbooks is Fantasy Sports contests. These are in a separate area of the FanDuel site, linked via their homepage. These are picks contests, where you construct fantasy teams – competing against other players.
Banking Options at FanDuel New Jersey
If you are good enough to pick winners, then getting money out of FanDuel (as well as making deposits) should be high on your priority list. With all of the legal NJ online sportsbooks, you’ll enjoy some easy ways to get your money on board and profits back out.
Which method you pick will depend on how much separation you’d like between your bank account and the sportsbooks. Here are the main deposit options available:
- FanDuel Prepaid Card: This acts like a credit card – and facilitates both deposits and withdrawals. You can apply for it directly from the sportsbook site. You load funds via your regular card, and then use the branded one for instant payments whenever needed.
- Visa / MasterCard: Regular credit cards will work for deposits, though not for withdrawals. While a handful of banks still restrict card use for gambling sites, most transactions will go through smoothly.
- ACH / eCheck Transfers: This bank transfer method uses the ‘VIP Preferred’ processing company. You will need to verify with them. Once this is done you have a way of instantly getting funds from your bank to FanDuel (and profits back to your bank).
- Online Bill Pay: This works for deposits in much the same way as paying a utility bill. A list of banks that work with this system is provided in the FanDuel FAQ.
- Wire Transfer: This is a slower bank transfer method, though useful for larger deposits. FanDuel will refund the fees charged by your bank (in bonus credits) for $100+ wires.
- PayPal: This popular online wallet allows for both deposits and withdrawals.
- Cash at Meadowlands: You can take cash to the cage at Meadowlands racetrack during stated hours.
- PayNearMe: This cash alternative uses 7-11 stores, you’ll need to print a barcode from your account to take with you.
- Checks: You can get a cashier check, money order or bankers draft via post. You’ll find the address for these in the FAQ.
Id verification will take place for all new accounts. This is part of the licensing requirements, and assures minors are not able to bet. Keep in mind that backup from your deposit method can be requested in addition to your photo-id.
Customer Service and Responsible Gaming at FanDuel New Jersey
Your first stop for any questions should be the FAQ. This is well laid out – the individual answers are detailed – and there is even a search option if you are not sure what you are looking for.
If that does not work, agents are available to assist you around the clock. You have 4 ways to get in touch.
The fastest way is via live chat. If you click the ‘Support’ link in the footer of the website, this will be the first option that appears. You can also speak to an agent on the phone (877-689-0662) from 10am to 8pm. E-mail support ([email protected]) is also available. Finally, you can find the physical address for Betfair Interactive US LLC – the NJ based owners of this brand.
Responsible Gaming is an important set of tools which are designed to protect people with gambling addiction problems. All NJ sportsbooks have a policy and various tools for managing accounts. Here is what is included at FanDuel:
- Links and phone numbers for gambling addiction support organizations.
- Ability to set deposit limits
- Ability to set wagering limits
- Ability to set time on site limits
- Self-exclusion capability
- Time out capability
I like the way that FanDuel explain each of these tools (click the ‘responsible gaming’ link in the footer for the list). They also provide a link directly to the place where you can implement each one at the end of the descriptions.
The live Sportsbook at Valley Forge Racetrack and Casino
The Valley Forge sportsbook is branded in conjunction with FanDuel. It is a big area, some 1800 square feet. There are 27 screens showing a huge array of sporting events and previews – plus 7 betting windows to place those wagers. You can bet on all the major domestic sports at the live FanDuel sportsbook – plus bet on international soccer fixtures.
Compared to some live sportsbooks, the hours of operation are on the longer side. The book opens at 7am Saturdays (9 or 10am weekdays) and runs until 1am (2am Friday and Saturday). You can’t miss the location – this is on the left as you walk in through the Valley Forge casino’s main entrance.
History of the Valley Forge Casino and their Technology Partners FanDuel
Business rivalry from the established Parx Casino almost stopped the Valley Forge from opening. They challenged the license application at the State supreme court, eventually losing the case. This casino and (harness) racetrack opened in 2012.
In comparison to some other PA resorts, it is on the small side. There are only 600 slots, compared to the 2000+ found at other casinos. 50 table games can also be enjoyed, as well as the newly opened sportsbook.
There is more to this Upper Merion Township venue than just casino and sports betting. There are two hotel towers, numerous restaurants and bars and a live music venue too.
Compared to some technology companies powering online sportsbooks in Pennsylvania, FanDuel are new. They got started in 2009 – providing Fantasy Sports contests for real money for US players. This company would battle Draft Kings, the other provider of DFS betting, until they merged in 2017. The newly combined company would then be acquired by international gaming giant Paddy Power Betfair.