Fanduel Move from Daily Fantasy Sports to a Full-Blown Sportsbook
You might know Fanduel best for their Daily Fantasy Sports contests. These pit players against each other, picking players to excel in a day’s matches. Fanduel are now involved in a regular sportsbook. Here you can place moneyline bets, parlays, teasers and more.
This FanDuel Pennsylvania sportsbook is due to launch in mid-2019. This is a partnership with Valley Forge racetrack and casino – where there is a live Fanduel-branded sportsbook already running. For this review I have looked at what is on offer in their New Jersey book. This page will be updated as soon as the PA version goes live to ensure that the details are correct.
Here is how you’ll find the information in this Fanduel Pennsylvania Sportsbook review laid out:
- Bonuses and Promotions: Get A $500 risk free bet and enjoy enhanced odds and other special Fanduel promotions.
- Advantages of Betting at Fanduel: You’ll have plenty of choice of where to bet online in PA. This section covers the key reasons to choose the Fanduel / Valley Forge Casino partnership.
- Features / Software Overview: The tie-in with Betfair gives you a solid betting platform.
- Live Betting at Fanduel: Placing bets while the action is ongoing adds to the excitement.
- Mobile Apps: A quick guide to betting via your mobile devices.
- Types of Bet: This section is for readers that are new to betting online, the main types of wager you can place are described.
Fanduel Pennsylvania Promo Code – Get a $500 Risk Free Bet!
This welcome bonus is simple compared to many PA sports betting bonuses. Fanduel will take the risk off of the table for your first bet. This is in the form of a refund for losing first bets, up to a generous $500.
Here is how it works: You deposit and place your first bet, if you win then nothing more happens. If you lose, then your account gets refunded with ‘account credit’. The minimum bet is $10, and the maximum is $500. No special Fanduel PA promo code is needed, this offer works for all new deposits.
Account credit can be used for bets just like your normal balance. It can only be withdrawn once you have wagered the total of your deposit + betting amount. There is a little ‘small print’. Odds of -200 or smaller are not counted, and you have 7 days from deposit to use your no-lose first bet offer.
Promotions and Special Offers at Fanduel PA Sportsbook
You’ll find a list of promos which change based on the major events and sports in season. The promos listed below will give you an idea of the types of offer that Fanduel run – though you will need to keep an eye on their ‘promotions’ page to see the current offers.
Note that there is no points-based comp scheme at Fanduel. This is more than made up for with promotions like the following:
- Enhanced Odds Bets: Each week there are matches and events which see generous additional to the odds – if you like betting with an extra edge, then you should keep an eye on this list.
- Close Call Insurance: This type of promo is common at the big international brands. Examples include money back on bets where your team loses by a slim margin (for example 2 points in basketball). This type of offer can also refund bets when goals are scored in injury time.
- Multi-Sport Parlay Insurance: If your parlay comes up short by just one match, and you bet on more than one sport on the same slip, this type of promo can easily save you some money.
- Free Props Pick’em Bets: A daily shot at a slice of $10k in a free to play picks contest. This is based on the current events and is similar to the Fantasy Sports contests which Fanduel built their name on.
Remember to keep an eye on the Fanduel sportsbook website – especially just before major events like playoffs, Superbowl, March Madness and the Stanley Cup.
Advantages of Betting at Fanduel’s Pennsylvania Sportsbook
You’ll already have seen the big no-risk bet offer and innovative list of promotions. There are plenty more reasons to choose Fanduel over their rivals.
First, the owners of this brand are the international giant Paddy Power Betfair. This not only backs the brand with a London Listed company (with formidable financial resources to make it a success), it gives you complete peace of mind. This company has a solid reputation with sports betting fans around the world. They also have the depth of experience to make a success of the Fanduel PA online sportsbook.
You’ll have full access to a huge range of bets and sporting events. With mobile apps (or a responsive website), innovative betting options including cash-out and live betting– plus access to the Daily Fantasy sports contests (in a separate section of their website), there is plenty to keep you entertained.
Fanduel PA Sportsbook: Features and Navigation
I like the clean dark blue and light grey look of the Fanduel Sportsbook. If we make the assumption that the navigation and options will be the same as their New Jersey product, then I think you’ll like the interface too.
The top level of navigation across the top of the site has Home (the main sports betting options), Live (in-play betting), Promotions and Casino links. You will also find a log-in button here, with the obligatory link to the responsible gaming information.
For the main sports betting section there is a standard 3-column design. The middle column is biggest, taking up approximately half of the screen.
- Left Hand Column: List of sports, with popular and current events at the top, then a full a-z beneath this.
- Middle Column: This shows the sports you selected. Default is the current biggest live / upcoming games. Tabs let you sort this middle column by league. If you scroll down you will find props and futures bets, in a listing format that lets you expand with a click.
- Right Column: This is where you will find your bet slip. This can be viewed in standard format (for singles and parlays), teaser or round robin.
For individual sports things are kept clean and easy to use. You’ll see the spread, moneyline and totals bets for each team. To the bottom right of each listing is ‘more wagers’. Click or tap this to bring up headings for many extra bets (these are sport specific).
Live Betting at Fanduel Pennsylvania
The live betting section has big tabs in the wider middle column showing the sports which currently have matches running. Each sport has an icon, which has a red circle showing the number of matches available to bet on. Once you drill down to the match level, the layout is the same as for regular bets – with ‘more wagers’ once again leading you to sport-specific specials.
If you have not yet experienced live or in-play betting, I recommend giving this a try. It will keep you involved in many matches – and allows you to lock in wins or hedge against losing positions while the action unfolds.
Apps at the Fanduel Sportsbook
I expect to see fully featured apps for both Apple and Android devices when this sportsbook goes live in Pennsylvania. The New Jersey sportsbook offers apps which include full account management and registration – you won’t need to separately register on their website. With cashier functionality included, you can deposit and withdraw funds direct through the Fanduel sportsbook apps.
Note that the Android app requires a download direct from the Fanduel website. This is easy and secure – though you will need to approve the download from an ‘unknown source’ as it does not come from the Google Play store. For iPhone / iPad users, the app is available directly from the iTunes store.
You’ll get the full betting functionality on either app – including the live betting options.
Types of Bet Available at Fanduel PA Sportsbook
Compared to the Daily Fantasy Sports contests, the number of betting options at the Fanduel online sportsbook is huge. If you are already an experienced sports bettor, then then you’ll find plenty of advanced options. For those new to sports betting, here is a quick explanation of some of the betting options available:
- Moneyline: This is the default single match bet. Lines (odds) are given for each team which are published in terms of a $100 bet. For positive numbers, this is the return you’d get per $100. For negative moneylines, the number of the amount you’d need to bet to win $100.
- Spread: This is a variation on the moneyline. Fanduel will specify a number of points (either positive or negative) for each team. These are usually given with a .5 on the end – to prevent tied spread bets. You can bet that the underdog will beat the spread, or stay with the favorite to win by more than the stated amount of points.
- Totals: Instead of betting on a team, you can bet on the total number of points / goals scored in a match by both teams. Variations which are sport specific involve totals for individual teams or time-periods during a match.
- Futures: You’ll find a range of season long bets. Most of these are for winners of leagues / overall winners after the play-offs. Some futures are props, for individual player achievements.
- Props: Bets on players and other quirky bets (for example the number of corners in a soccer game) are classified as ‘proposition bets’.
- Parlays: This describes a bet on more than one match. The sum won on the first match goes to the next bet, and so on. Parlays are a popular way to turn a small stake into a potentially big pay out. Of course, only one ‘leg’ has to lose to spoil the parlay.
- Teasers: This is a form of parlay which involves betting on spreads. While you get some flexibility in the spread over multiple matches, you’ll need to accept lower returns as the price for this.
There are plenty more sport-specific bets, check out the ‘more wagers’ links under the matches you’d like to bet on to see the options.
Payment Options at Fanduel Sportsbook PA
With a PA licensed via the Valley Forge Casino and Racetrack, and the involvement of Betfair – one of the world’s premier gambling brands – you should have no concerns about making deposits at Fanduel Pennsylvania.
Unlike ‘grey market’ sportsbooks, you will have a full range of mainstream options available to you. Again, the exact mix of brands and services will become clear when this PA online sportsbook goes live. Based on their other state sportsbooks, this will include many of the following:
- Credit / Debit Cards: This deposit method could not be any easier. Use your Visa or Mastercard in the same way you would make an online purchase. This is for deposits only, you won’t be able to withdraw directly onto your cards.
- eChecks / ACH Transfers: In other states you need to get verified by a 3rd party payment provider to use this simple transfer option. Once verified you can make instant deposits from your bank – and use this method for withdrawals too.
- PayPal / Neteller: Both services are part of a payment category called ‘e-wallets’. PayPal is the best known, though Neteller works in the same way. These online wallets mean you can deposit and withdraw without any gambling transactions appearing on your bank statement.
- Bill Pay: This alternate bank transfer method is available at a selected list of banks. You’ll log on and approve a payment in the same way you’d pay a utility bill.
- Cash: At many PA online casinos and sportsbooks, you’ll be able to use cash in two ways. First, you can take your money to the cage at the Valley Forge Casino. Second, use PayNearMe, a service offered at 7-11 stores.
Some legal online gambling brands also offer their own payment card. These work for both deposits and withdrawals and can be topped up via your regular cards. It remains to be seen whether one will be offered by Fanduel.
Fanduel Pennsylvania Sportsbook: Customer Service and Responsible Gambling
You’ll find a link for ‘Support’ in the footer of the Fanduel PA website, listed under ‘Help’. This brings up a screen with 3 contact options:
- Live Chat: This is 24/7 and will put you directly in touch with an agent via text-based chat.
- e-Mail: You can write to [email protected] (again 24/7), if you have an account already, you are requested to include your user name.
- Phone: A New Jersey phone number is currently listed, I expect one for PA to be available on go-live date.
You will also find the physical address of Betfair Interactive US LLC – the registered company for this online sportsbook.
For common questions, it can be worth checking out the FAQ. This includes sections on geo-location, depositing and withdrawing – as well as sports betting.
Responsible Gaming is designed to protect underage gamblers and anyone that has (or even suspects they have) gambling addiction problems. While this is a mandatory part of the licensing system for PA online casinos and sportsbooks – big companies like Valley Forge Casino and Betfair take this area seriously worldwide.
This can be divided into several components, you’ll find all of these in place at Fanduel Sportsbook PA:
- Questionnaire: A series of questions designed to help people decide whether their gambling is problematic.
- Links / Phone Numbers: If a patron thinks they might have a problem, links to agencies that can help must be provided.
- Self-Exclusion / Time Out: Tools which enable a time out from the site, or permanent self-exclusion.
- Deposit / Betting Limits: Tools which can provide limits on individual bets and the total amount bet over a designated time period.
As part of the responsible gaming and security processes of every PA online sportsbook, you’ll need to provide Id documents. These show you are old enough to gamble (21+) and can confirm your deposit method (for example with a picture of your credit card).
The Live Sportsbook at Valley Forge Racetrack and Casino
The Valley Forge sportsbook is branded in conjunction with Fanduel. It is a big area, some 1800 square feet. There are 27 screens showing a huge array of sporting events and previews – plus 7 betting windows to place those wagers. You can bet on all the major domestic sports at the live Fanduel sportsbook – plus bet on international soccer fixtures.
Compared to some live sportsbooks, the hours of operation are on the longer side. The book opens at 7am Saturdays (9 or 10am weekdays) and runs until 1am (2am Friday and Saturday). You can’t miss the location – this is on the left as you walk in through the Valley Forge casino’s main entrance.
History of the Valley Forge Casino and their Technology Partners FanDuel
Business rivalry from the established Parx Casino almost stopped the Valley Forge from opening. They challenged the license application at the State supreme court, eventually losing the case. This casino and (harness) racetrack opened in 2012.
In comparison to some other PA resorts, it is on the small side. There are only 600 slots, compared to the 2000+ found at other casinos. 50 table games can also be enjoyed, as well as the newly opened sportsbook.
There is more to this Upper Merion Township venue than just casino and sports betting. There are two hotel towers, numerous restaurants and bars and a live music venue too.
Compared to some technology companies powering online sportsbooks in Pennsylvania, Fanduel are new. They got started in 2009 – providing Fantasy Sports contests for real money for US players. This company would battle Draft Kings, the other provider of DFS betting, until they merged in 2017. The newly combined company would then be acquired by international gaming giant Paddy Power Betfair.