US Online Poker Sites
With the legal information above in mind, the choices for USA real money online poker players is limited to regulated sites in NJ, DE and NV – plus Sweepstakes poker rooms elsewhere. Here are the key sites, starting with the 3 regulated states:
#1 New Jersey
Online poker is legal in New Jersey. NJ residents have the biggest choice of poker rooms. As you will see, each site is a partnership between a brick and mortar casino and a respected international online poker brand.
- PokerStars NJ: This site partners with Resorts Atlantic City and is the single biggest US online poker room.
- WSOP.com: A partnership between 888 Poker and Caesars Resorts
- 888 Poker NJ: A separate room which is also a partnership of 888 and Caesars.
- Party Poker NJ: This is a tie-in with the Borgata casino.
There are other casinos which host poker games – though the traffic to these is so small as to make them irrelevant as serious choices.
Michigan Online Poker Rooms
- PokerStars: Launched in Early 2021, PokerStars offers its flagship product to Michigan residents with best in class game selection, software, and security.
- BetMGM: Launched in March of 2021, BetMGM now accepts players in Michigan. Players can benefit from the large player pool provided by being on the PartyPoker New Jersey network.
Delaware Online Poker Rooms
Online poker is legal in Delaware. DE was the first state to license poker rooms, they share software (provided by 888) with one for each of the 3 Racetracks. Here are the options:
- Delaware Park
- Dover Downs
- Harrington Raceway
While the traffic to these sites alone is not enough to provide much action. They do make up for it by sharing traffic with the WSOP.com brands in both Nevada and New Jersey.
Nevada Online Poker Rooms
Like the other two states, online poker is legal in Nevada. NV took a different route. They regulated online poker, but not casinos. There were two sites to start with, though one (Ultimate Poker) has since closed.
This leaves WSOP.com poker – a partnership between Caesars Entertainment and 888 Poker as the remaining room. This site is now part of the World Series of Poker. You can qualify online for the live events, and even win a bracelet in a special online tournament event as part of the series.
US Online Poker States Without Sites
Two states other than the three above have legalized online poker. However, neither state has any active online poker rooms right now.
Pennsylvania is the fourth state to legalize online poker. Online poker was part of the Mountain State’s massive gambling expansion in October 2017.
However, a steep licensing fee and proposed tax rate have delayed the arrival of Pennsylvania’s first app. The launch of these first sites should come in mid-2019.
The 13 casinos interests in the state (12 land-based casinos and one under construction) had the right of first refusal to apply for a license. Of those 13, seven are pursuing online poker sites. They are:
- Harrah’s Philadelphia
- Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course
- Mount Airy Casino
- Parx Casino
- Sands Bethlehem (soon to be Wind Creek Casino and Resort)
- SugarHouse Casino
- Valley Forge Casino
Two other companies outside Pennsylvania has been designated as qualified gaming entities by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. As such, the two, MGM and Golden Nugget, are able to pursue online poker should they choose. However, only MGM has indicated an interest in bringing its own brand of online poker to the Keystone State.
Ideally, Pennsylvania will join the multi-state compact in order to pool its players with those in Nevada, New Jersey, and Delaware. However, shared liquidity is in doubt at this moment due to the Department of Justice‘s recent opinion about the Wire Act.
West Virginia is the fifth state in the US to legalize online poker. The West Virginia Lottery Interactive Wagering Act became law on March 27, 2019.
The law will allow the five casinos in the state to apply for and operate online casino and online poker sites. So, the following casinos will be able to pursue online poker in West Virginia are:
- The Casino Club at Greenbrier Resort
- Hollywood Casino Charles Town
- Mardi Gras Casino
- The Mountaineer Hotel, Casino & Resort
- Wheeling Island Hotel-Casino-Racetrack
The bill specifies that state officials must promulgate regulations sometime in 2020. So, 2020 is the earliest time that an online poker app in West Virginia could possibly launch.